Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven pi questions
Re: Seven pi questions [message #43858 is a reply to message #43846] Tue, 03 February 2004 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GrantMarshall is currently offline  GrantMarshall
Viscount

I made the mistake (or maybe not) of going to the Lima Ohio high efficiency show and rotating through about 40 rooms of just great systems. They included Bruce Edgars Titans and all kinds of other BEAUTIFUL set ups. As you went from room to room the tube amps were getting swapped for other tube amps. The music was very good. A lot of the DIY crowd was there.

I came home and listened to my 2 way Pi 7's with the Delta 15's in them. Not a fair comparison at all. There was some good money in some of the systems I had been listening to, forget the sweat equity, but the ears don't know about a price tag, they just listen to the sound.

I replaced the 2 way with the 3 way Pi 7 option (my own version with Waynes advice). I kept the Emminence driver to handle 3500+, put in a cone midrange in a small sealed cabinet on top of the regular Pi 7 to handle 400-3500, and use a Klipsch K-43 in the bottom end. I have them bi-amped with an EL34 on the top/mid and an old Luxman on the bottom. L-pads help even out the mid/high efficiency difference. I'm getting to where I'm quite happy with my system but still have to do some veneer work, etc.

What I didn't like about the Deltas was that they just weren't clean sound. I haven't used the JBL's or the higher end Emminence (there are much nicer than the Delta's).

What I like about the Pi 7's is what I think most people refer to as dynamics. The music is a lot busier than a lot of speakers. Choose an instument to listen to and you can listen to it. You can HEAR the drums getting BEAT. It's not just a little sound lost in the music, somebody is pounding on those suckers. That's something the horns do without a lot of power. This isn't what you'd call late night listening. There is definite imaging with the corner horns in a 3 way set up.

One thing to be aware of is the size of the Pi 7's. There is a huge difference between the Theatre and other choices.

Once you start playing/tweaking the system is a hobby as much as listening to the music. You'll find the support on this forum is great. WARNING: This hobby is addictive !!!!

Best wishes.

Grant.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message