Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Update
Update [message #43381] Mon, 15 December 2003 19:10 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Was thinking about reflections screwing up my measurement graphs today, the area I had been testing in did not have any walls or fences etc around the front or back of the horn, however there was a wall and a fence pretty near on each side. I flipped the horn the other way to do the measurements to reduce reflections off these surfaces (by reducing the horizontal dispersion by flipping it). However today I thought to myself to go out and get some cable instead. I had to buy 20 meters of speaker cable and another 20 meters of RCA cable so I could do the measurements way out where theres no surrounding fences, walls, or anything else.

The results I got changed for the better! I have two response graphs here, one is of the first conical horn I built which had a small throat of 27cm^2, and the second graph is of the second conical horn I built with 50cm^2 throat. Other than throat size differences both horns were the same length, mouth area, etc.

Horn with 27cm^2 throat, ~1.5L back chamber with lining

And here is the horn with larger throat, 50cm^2 with ~1.5L back chamber with lining.

Concerning ~500Hz to 1.6KHz usage, which one would you say is more smooth/less amplitude deviation? I think that the one with large throat is better for a higher xover point say 2KHz (pretty obvious), however regarding the peaks/dips and shelves at the low end, am not sure which one to choose. Any comments/guidance on which graph is "better" is much appreciated.

Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message