Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eight months in the making and still not done, but:
Re:For Garland and all Pi'sters [message #43297 is a reply to message #43293] Mon, 08 December 2003 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think all the narrow gauge wire has a similar sound: alive with detail, slightly tilted up and a sense of spaciousness beyond normal ambience or the character of the venue. Almost a subtle 'reverb'. If you go back in the archives you'll find that I had the Mapleshade double helix which was 21 ga, I think, then I duplicated it's geometry with 26ga RS magnet and finally I used 22 ga CCC Vampire magnet in a lightly twisted pair as designed by our friend Kevin Haskins via John Risch. I like'm all. The CAT is hotter in the treble than the others, the authentic Mapleshade has the best bass and the Risch-Haskins is warmer and better balanced.
All these impressions were taken while I concurrently enjoyed the Theatre 4's and the JBL Tent SAle 3677's with 2226J woofs. Which led me to the inevitable ccomparisons. I found that I liked the crisper bass and transients of the 2226J and the sweeter treble of the PSD-2002. Oddly, I never pulled the Delta's and substituted the JBL. Cabinet tuning was wrong, anyway.
Then I visited Speakerman and he had these Altec things perched on his 3677's. (Keep in mind that I was brand new to speaker building and pro sound type components) I heard mid-range I immediately lusted for. They had the warmer sound of the PSD while at the same time revealing more of the music. And they look so great! We cut a deal for my Theatre 4 cabinets and I went home with the Altecs. Isn't it great that everyone has dissimilar tastes?
So this past year I played with the Altec/JBL combination, toyed with the idea of building a tower version of the Theatre 4 and finally wound up selling the Theatre 4 motors to finance the construction of these speakers you see here.
They are as much Pi speakers as anything on the site, Pro 4 cabinets and woofers with Altec instead of JBL Horns.
Damn Bill Martinelli for introducing me to his Woodhorns after I was well along in the construction!:) The 811B's are definitely over-matched against the Woodhorns. But now that they don't ring like cowbells anymore.........
We'll have to wait and see. Is that a rumor I heard about wooden sectorals? Hmmmm?
So Garland, when are you gonna quit foolin' around with capacitors and build some more speakers?

Creating is more like performing than listening

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message