Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Journal of a First-time Builder - Pt 4: Functioning Speakers x2!
Piezos... [message #43141 is a reply to message #43133] Fri, 21 November 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Magnus is currently offline  Magnus
Baron
I could not agree more with Wayne on this one. The KSN-1005 is a nasty little fellow, you think your head is going to implode when somebody hits the cymbal. I did a not too scientific measurement on the unit and it had quite a big output peak at around 5 kHz if I remember correctly. I have not used the KSN-1038 but KSN-1141 which I find quite a nice sounding unit. For the price you could probably not find better tweeters. But I replaced it with a titanium compression driver and horn and I am not going back...

Now a question to you Wayne, and others of course. What about horn-loaded ribbon tweeters? I know one unit (the Gamma VLD13) which uses this design, but are there others? Seems to me like a good way of combining the best of two worlds, at least at low SPL:s. I am too young to know much about all the weird acoustical devices developed in the 70's and 80's but it would be nice to know more about it.

/Magnus

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message