Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, remember a text based game called "Ferret"?
"You're in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike." [message #42518 is a reply to message #42517] Thu, 18 September 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are some really fun responses you can get from the parser. I can't recall specific examples right now, but I remember that sometimes the game would reply with the funniest things! I always was impressed with its ability to parse English, particularly for the time it was written. And some specific words besides those required by the game are recognized too - the vocabulary includes some slang and other unrelated words - so the parser can really surprise you with its responses sometimes.

But you need to have either a hint file or someone who has played the game with you to really get into it. It's hard to even get underground if you don't know that's the object of the game. Most of the action happens down there, so if you don't know that, you will just wander around in the house or the yard. So if you don't have some familiarity with the game, I want to send you a hint file. I'll have to look around and see if I have it handy, but it's worth it.

Once you have that, you'll find that "your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow."

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message