Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer Group Delay and such. Long post, but I hope its interesting, maybe :P
A short comment. [message #42447 is a reply to message #42446] Fri, 12 September 2003 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
As I said, I don't know zilch about group delay (have a vague idea).

Quote: "Mollecon said larger vented boxes means less ringing. But it can mean HUGE peak in Group Delay Curve near resonance. Does that not mean the larger box increases overring?"

Ehh, no, & definetely NOT in the case of a closed box. Larger box means lower Q, hence less ringing. And I'm almost certain that the same is the case for a reflex box, basically (not taking manipulation with the tuning into consideration).

A couple of other things of interest: The alignment B2 (Q=0.7) for a closed box AND the alignment B4 for a reflex box is in both cases the optium box size for the lowest possible -3dB point for any given driver. Optium does not always mean IDEAL, mind you!

Reducing box size (again, this goes for both box types) have one advantage: It gives smaller impedance peaks on/around the resonance & therefore represents an easier load on the amplifier. On the other hand it could be argued that the resonance also might go up into an area where the bass content is larger, so the strain put on the amp will in practice remain the same - life isn't easy! ;-)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PiAlign port
Next Topic: Build or buy....which is cheaper?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 02:32:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio