Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer Group Delay and such. Long post, but I hope its interesting, maybe :P
Aren't we [message #42437 is a reply to message #42434] Fri, 12 September 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Is it that complicated? As far as I know, ANY reflexbox will have a phase shift at 180 at -3dB point - & ANY closed box a phase shift at 90 at -3dB...

Impulse behaviour at resonance;

A closed box with a Q close to 1 will have a ringing of a cycle or so at resonance, & a -3dB point 20% below resonance. A closed box with a Q at ~0.7 (B2 alignment) rings ~½ cycle at resonance, which is also the -3dB point. A closed box with a Q at 0.5 will show very little ringing - & you pay for that having the bass down -6dB at resonanse.

A reflex box with a socalled B3 alignment (showing a 18dB/oct drop below resonance) will show a ringing almost similar to a closed box with Q at 1 - & the standard B4 alignment will be 'worse' in that respect. You can surely have reflex alignments that rings less than this - use a bigger box &/or lower the tuning...

The fact the remains that there are pro's & con's for both reflex & closed box. The reflex box is a way to get better efficiency &/or deeper bass + reduced diaphragm excursion, with added smaller distortion at any given output, AND a higher output, up to 5.5dB compared to the closed box of similar size & bass response. BUT you pay with more ringing at bass resonance.

And A LOT of variables goes into determining which to prefer, including the listener! The fact that most high efficiency enthusiasts use basreflex (when not horns in the bass - but those bastards are REALLY big) is no wonder - just look at what it offers compared to the closed box, WHEN you have high effeciency as a priority...

With the danger of being accused of heresy, I would like to mention that it is possible to get a reasonably high efficiency with a closed box - a fairly large one that is! Put the Eminence Beta 15 in a box of aprox. 170 liters (~6 cu.ft.), & you will get a Q at 1, -3dB at 48Hz - & I bet it'll be tube friendly, too, considering the magnet size on those (running away before Wayne comes with his baseball bat).

Just my (pretty long) two cents.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PiAlign port
Next Topic: Build or buy....which is cheaper?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 03:38:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio