Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Titanium compression drivers - can't seem to get good sound!!
Re: Not always the best for home audio [message #42399 is a reply to message #42396] Mon, 08 September 2003 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Rob,

I dont have any experiance with the driver you mention. There a few guys out there that dont like titanium diaphagm compression drivers. Some find then harsh and metalic sounding. Altec used a lot of aluminum and JBL did on older stuff. There is still a preference by some people for phenolic diaphragms in the mid-vocal range. It's been said that titanium was used mostly to increase durability for the pro's who popped the aluminum units like party balloons, and to help bring a higher extension to the compression driver. There was no way the phenolic was happy past 10k and in the upper octave it was a stretch for most of the aluminums. There are companies making the drivers today that use berrylium, aluminum, polyester and phenolic. I switched from the titanium diaphrams myself. Your milage may vary

Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: WAYNE, help required for pi crossover
Next Topic: How to ID strange capacitor?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 14:12:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio