Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » alternative speakers for Ten Pi
Re: alternative speakers for Ten Pi [message #42232 is a reply to message #42227] Wed, 20 August 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
To follow up on Wayne's mention of my system, the Kappa 15LF's performed reasonably well in the ten pi enclosures I designed for them. Unfortunately, output (while incredibly loud) is also somewhat chesty, and just didn't have the bottom end I wanted. Additional cabinet bracing would have helped the situation a fair bit, but not enough to fully make up for the difference. As I have nothing to weigh against, I woudl say the project was a modest sucess, although not worth all the work.

Adding a subwoofer to cover the 60 Hz and below region, now wow... That was another story. Having a subwoofer to fill out the bottom octaves truly eliminated that chesty sound from the ten pi's and delivered an excellent sounding system. I'm not sure if this is typical of Wayne's horn design or improper implimentation of the woofer, but the bottom end response simply didn't do it for me. The same driver in a standard ported box, tuned to around 40 Hz was not as loud, but provided a far smoother bass and midbass sound, superior midrange characteristics and deeper response.

Adam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: could i have the 4Pi-18 plans too?
Next Topic: A question about speaker impedence ratings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 15:30:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout