Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » This Titanic sailed into port!
This Titanic sailed into port! [message #42180] Tue, 12 August 2003 12:22 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some may recall that I built a 4 cu ft box for the Parts Express Titanic 12. It had very basic construction, my old flush trim router bit ate the edges and I always thought it was too boomy. And the black formica was same-'ole, same-'ole ugly.
Since then I discovered some alternative venting schemes on the P.E. site, I needed to create a good cabinet after the Twin Towers debacle and I was most of the way thru the Bill Martinelli School of Veneering.
So now I had 4" ABS with 3 7/8 I.D., a bunch of Parts Express damping panels, and another batch of Sweetgum veneer.
Doubled the baffle, braced the 2 sides, top and bottom, attached the damping to the same 4 panels and made the vent an astounding 17 1/2" long for an F3 of 17Hz! Oh yeah, I added spikes, too.

Fired up the "Fifth Element" and heard more detail in the explosions:) No, really, there seems to be more definition to the lower tones. The first cabinet played the lowest notes okay but the stuff below 30 Hz was just a thud. Thud is gone, each bang and boom is different one from another. Cleaner. Hard to describe, easy to hear. And listening to a soundtrack like "Live In Paris" it's still necessary to dial back the sub to -3dB but John Clayton's Bass is closer to having the 2 Delta's in the 10 cu ft box than a 'just a sub'. Especially on "I Don't Know Enough About You" when Clayton grabs that bow in the German style the really low harmonics reach out. There's also a closeup of him plucking the lowest string and that, what, Low E? is so clean and clear.

Wait, it gets better: I haven't fitted the spikes, yet! Sure enough, on my suspended Living Room floor, the spikes banished the sympathetic vibration thuds that aren't in the score and yielded even cleaner, deeper sub-harmonics. Sub-harmonics, what a great term!

All these construction details really made a difference.

More pix of the construction steps on my site:
Merry Pranks Website

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Why a bass guitar enclosure build this way?
Next Topic: For Sale--Nice Oak Pi Four Boxes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 09 08:06:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout