Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers!
Re: Pi Speakers! [message #41806 is a reply to message #41800] Sat, 05 July 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Adrian,
I want to stress something that may not have occured to you (and may or may not be important to you) because it didn't occur to me untill later. If you use a bunch of non-standard parts in you speakers, not only are they not Pi's, but the forum couldn't help you much. We will have no Idea the properties of what you are using, or what it sounds like. The power of this forum and being able to adjust the design to your taste, based on what others have tried is priceless. I have A LOT of money invested in capacitors and resistors I bought for experimenting with the padding and compensation for the 2370. It is non-standrd, but luckily Wayne knows this horn and others were familiar. Had I chosen a part that nobody had a clue about, I could still be ordering this weeks comp and pad parts to solder up and cross my fingers. I already have more in caps and resistors than I paid for compression drivers. So the point is, If you are running non-standard parts, and you have a question, We would all be guessing. You might spend weeks and much money tweaking around to no avail. There may be good substitute parts, but having been one who blazes my own trail, I must admit, if I hadn't started with a known good combination, I would likely still be tweaking my last bad idea. I hope that my intense desire to be helpful shines through, and that this doesn't come off negative. You may have great ideas and be great at figuring what works well. I am pretty smart about this stuff for an amatuer, and lately I have made some great sounding original designs. I just know what it's like when people answer my posts with "well I have never heard that combination before, but try this" or "just order the specified parts, they work well" I didn't think of that untill after it happened. I also didn't get good at speaker building untill I had a popular design and followed the forum A LOT. I got to try all the cool stuff that goes on here and I learned what something on paper sounds like when it gets to my ears. I learned so much from Wayne and the guys. Now, I guess I'm one of the guys.

As for the different woofers. I can attest that even the budget Delta 15 sounds more realistic than my ScanSpeak 8" which is one of the worlds best according to all who covet or own it. You can't really make a bad choice with the 15's. Just bass acording to your taste. But if you like a lot of material with really deep bass the Delta sounds way better than it's graph would let on. My next Pi will use an Omega, I just have to hear this thing. I love the idea that instead or rising respose at breakup range, it just rolls off at crossover. Thats crazy! It is Wayne's favorite Eminence in the midrange and it uses a small box. I will not likely get to own a JBL based Pi for money reasons, but The recone thing can have varying results. It's really down to how good the tech is and with what parts. Hmmm scary.

Good luck with them

Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message