Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Suggestions for horn sub needed
ten π [message #41489 is a reply to message #41488] Sat, 24 May 2003 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You may be in a situation that will not allow the use of cornerhorns. I don't have two good corners in my listening room either, which is a pity because the π cornerhorn is my favorite loudspeaker design. For the home, it always seemed to me that using the corners was ideal. They are very large, and they are easy to use to your advantage. Corner installation isn't usually an option for live use, but for the home, corners are often ideal.

But if you can't use corners, then the horn you need becomes very large. If that's an option for you, then something like the ten π works very well. But even that is tuned to be used above 40Hz and in constrained space or in multiples. That's the problem - to get down into the bottom octave, you just really need size. Most guys running horn subs add EQ for the bottom octave, which goes to show that they aren't acting as horns down there. That means that - for the bottom octave - they're direct radiators in fancy boxes. This is true for all the popular basshorns discussed on these forums.

But this is probably a debate about semantics. There are lots of people that really like the power a large-format horn can deliver down to 40Hz. I'd suggest the ten π might work very well for you. They deliver solid output down to 40Hz, and they are able to deliver extended response as well. This makes your choice of crossover much easier - You can cross them low or use them up fairly high. The rising response of the driver combined with the diagonal reflectors allows smooth response at high frequencies, almost to the limits of the driver, itself.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Compression Drivers arrived !!!
Next Topic: Theatre 7 cornerhorns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 21:20:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout