Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cornerhorns, revisited
Re: Cornerhorns, revisited [message #41355 is a reply to message #41318] Wed, 14 May 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Certainly the configuration of the home and its type and quality of construction are important factors. But no matter what kind of speakers you have, if the acoustics are bad, then you have a problem. I suppose some argument can be made that a highly directional device that's pointed away from problematic areas and reflective surfaces will help. But a home is usually small enough that the reverberent field becomes charged pretty easily, so that removes the validity of the argument to some degree.

Beyond that, I've found a few pretty basic things to watch out for. You hit the biggest one - Raised hardwood floors. If a home has a crawlspace underneath, you probably can't make it sound good without some pretty significant treatments. If you can walk across the wood floors and it sounds like a drum head, forget about it. But homes with concrete slabs and framed drywall construction are pretty good, all-in-all.

The other gotcha is rooms that are solid rock. Things like basements are problematic, because they are soooo reflective. I've seen this construction in flats in Europe too, and I've been told that rock is everywhere in home construction in India. I expect that a person would need a lot of absorbent material on the boundary surfaces to get that right. I've not had any experience with them other than setting up temporary sound systems in gymnasiums and small stereos in European homes. Neither of these kinds of cases called for a permanent high-quality solution, so I did no real investigation and can't draw reasonable conclusions. But I suspect that wall-to-wall carpets or a thick area rug that extends nearly wall to wall would be helpful, perhaps combined with ceiling treatments as well. Then the dead-end/live-end approach for the walls would probably be appropriate too.

But back to the North American homes, if you're not putting your sound system in a basement or in a room with a crawlspace and a raised hardwood floor, you're almost certain to get good results from π cornerhorns, provided you've got the corners, of course.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: JBL "drivers" are really fast!!
Next Topic: Pi Speakers Crossover SPICE values
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 13:43:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout