Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Altec 511B Ringing Update
Altec 511B Ringing Update [message #41312] Mon, 12 May 2003 15:24 Go to previous message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Hi all,

This post is a follow-up to my question about remedies for 511B horn ringing posted about a week ago.

I have made some modifications to my 511B horns and can report the following;

1) De-stressing by gapping the fins greatly reduces the 'theater type' sound (obvious lower treble dominant and sharp (dynamic?)mid-upper treble) they initially had, but leaves some residual glare and hardness. The sound jumps out at you as this range is crossed.

Note that after de-stressing, I could still easily detect vibration in the central area of the large gently curved portions of the horn bell, and in the throat area.

2) I applied constrained-layer damping material in 2 steps.

In the first step I covered the horn bell from behind the front mounting flange back to the narrow throat - this substantially reduced the glare and hardness, and added considerable definition/resolution.

In the second step I covered the horn throat, from the rear (driver) mounting flange up to the rapid horizontal expansion - this resulted in another gain in resolution, especially in the upper treble. Cymbals are now much more clearly defined, no longer just a textured 'pff'. And...the soundstage really opened up. It's a whole new ballgame. The sound quality is now very similar to that from my JBL 2446/2380's. Very smooth, dynamic and detailed, and lacking in tonal coloration. The small format drivers (Iconic Model 102-16) are a bit more agile though, so the sound from the 511B's is a little more detailed and more extended in the HF (w/o compensation). As a bonus, they present a nice wide and deep soundstage - on good recordings, the speakers are replaced by the recorded acoustic space. They do not quite diasappear like LS 3/5a's, but then neither do the dynamics. The JBL 2380 CD horns simply do not image. They do produce a very appealing 'they are here' (as contrasted with 'you are there') presentation.

The material I used was Dynamat Xtreme. Other similar products would probably work just fine, but the Dynamat was available locally. I used about 7 square feet of material. It took about 3 1/2 hours to make some measurements on the horns, layout the cuts on the material and apply it to the horns. Total coat: about $60 with sales tax. Worth every penny! As always, YMMV.

Thanks to everyone here for help, humor and encouragement.

Regards,

AstroSonic

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Corner horn question
Next Topic: NE Bot Blast was a Bachanalian Pi Fest!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 00:36:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio