Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » P.Audio SD-450 N on JBL 2370 Bi-Radial Horn with Wayne Parhams compensation circuit
Re: Radial horns [message #40393 is a reply to message #40381] Sun, 23 February 2003 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi Alex,

I think it's great your going to make some wood horns. There are a few devices you can use for connecting a driver to the wodd flare that you built. Fane makes some adaptors and Selenium makes adaptors also. These could be used in some fashion for a fit up of the compression driver to the horn flare. There are also some older JBL adaptors that are 1" to 2". I find the JBL models a little long and for that matter, adaptors and mounting flanges by any of these companies have not been to my liking. So, I have my own design and specifications made. They are available, and you can see pricing and detials on the pricing page of the www.woodhorn.com web page.

You may also find it rather difficult to get a compression driver to perform well in the lower range your looking for. Although some models will spec out to 300 or 400 hz. Its also possible to build a horn that will give you that cut off. What you may find is that even though a combination of horn and driver will spec out or test to give you suitible results. The sound you hear may not be desirable.

I have had fantastic results using 2" drivers on larger horns with a crossover point of 700hz (give or take 50hz). This is a very dynamic combination. I like to use 1500-2000hz crossover point for 1" compression drivers.

You could built a larger horn that is about 400 x 400mm. use an 8" cone driver and have a great range of use from 200hz - 2000hz.

Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message