Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anybody want to hear about Ella?
Tube burn in on Ella! [message #40239 is a reply to message #40222] Sun, 09 February 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,
How's your plumbing holding up??? Anyways, I have to add as additional comment, those "National" brand tubes in my ST-70 are less than 40 hours also, so they are still a little brittle yet, don't have the money for better EL34's yet, just got my Dynaco SCA-35 back from tech(same one who did the ST-70), he is very meticoulus, cleans everything up including the PCB's which almost look new. Guess what, the 35 has much more midrange/high frequency clarity than the 70 does, and definitely does not have the bottom end "OOMPH" of its big brother on the cloned 4 pi-pro's. I sent my McIntosh MC-240 to fix up now, that will be the amp for the 4 pi-pro's, nothing like 40 watts of 6L6's pounding the JBL 2226's. Really glad to hear Ella is up and running, you were like an "expectant father to be" during this assembly process, I am really happy for you!!!!
Now "Grasshopper", did you get the crossovers put together for your speakers like we discussed, letting the Altec's on 811B horns come through better at 800hz should improve the voicing of your midranges that tubes love. Keep in touch, and by the way, I still believe tubes and speakers properly broke in and aged with care will only get better. I brought out my Adcom 555-II yesterday just to move the 2226's a little bit, my tube amps don't push the JBL's very hard in home use.
Regards, Ron (Hey, Where is Marvin the Martian at in the pics?)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message