Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long)
Re: Studio Series 2Pi Comparison(long again) [message #40149 is a reply to message #40119] Tue, 04 February 2003 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
You are entitled to your opinion... but I do not think anything "went wrong during my comparison".

The speakers were sufficiently broken in.

As far as the MMG's being rolled off on the low end I would agree that as far a the rating you are correct, but when listening I could not hear the lack of bass frequency as much as the lack of dynamic and possibly at the very low end some musicality but overall the MMG was in my opinion more "musical" thoughout the full range. In reguard to the high end being rolled off... I disgree both in spec and in listening as the MMG spec is rated at 24khz, again I think that the difference in what is being heard is dynamics and not frequency.

I already stated that what may be missing here is the opurtunity for the Pi's to be driven buy a tube amp. If I were to drive the MMG's with many tube amps I believe that I may come to a different conclusion as many tube amps cannot deliver the power that they really need to sound good, hence a "weakness" for the MMG's(and many planars). As many have stated here and also at the Planar Speaker forum, planars can lack dynamics, this is no secret and many have tried planars and come to the same conclusion and returned to "box" speakers. No speaker is perfect and no speaker can do all things well, including Pi speakers. But many are willing to trade of dynamics for sound stage, a great sweet spot and other attributes like being less fatigueing and more musical.

Other factors which could affect the outcome of my A/B comparison compare to your A/B comparison is system components, system synergy, speaker setup, room acoustics, selection of music(I tried everything I listen to including rock, clasical, jazz, easy listening, new age, gospel, country & western, pop, and instrumental and vocals. It was a long listening session) and last but most importantly in my opinion is PERSONAL TASTE.

Personal taste is by far the one factor which will affect the outcome of many listening sessions whether in home doing A/B comparison or in sound rooms at point of sale vendors. This is probably the one greatest factor which enables the audio speaker market to accomadate thousands of speaker brands and manufactures. If everybody liked the same thing(sound and looks) then there would not be such a diverse market for different types of speakers. In fact if you want to take it further we could bring horns( I'm not talking compression horns but folded horns) to the table and inject another type of speaker with a big following which are not everybody's "cup of tea". I will say not more about horns since they are not really part of this topic.

I will close by saying that I can appreciate some of the things that box speakers do including "dynamics", and I do believe that Pi speaker deserve a good look at and I will be building the Theater 4 in hopes of finding a "better" speaker. In fact most of the responses here to my post have refered to the Theater 4 for the MMG comparison so I am even more excited to get going on them and here for myself. I can appreciate the qualities of both types of speakers and can enjoy both. I plan to have a tubed/Pi system as well as a SS/Magnepan speaker and take advantage of the best that both systems will offer my ears and taste.

I hope that all will not take my posting of my listening comparison as a knock on Pi Speakers or especially Wayne personally because I have alot of respect for Wayne the speaker line and many folks here at the Pi speaker forum.
Enjoy the music!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: π three-way passive crossover 250Hz/1.6kHz
Next Topic: Wayne: Advice for EV LS12A drivers in Pi Alignment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 05 23:51:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio