Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Taking the shout out of piezo tweeters
parts vary in their specs [message #39994 is a reply to message #39988] Wed, 22 January 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
more than some people realize between production lots. The last 4 drivers I ordered, I specifically asked that they be taken from the same carton. I got 3 the same, and one different lot number...the bastards:) DCR of all 4 was 6.3 ohms, Fs was a uniform 41Hz., but the free air Z peak of the oddball was 48.3 ohms, 10% higher than the others(44.0, 44.0, 44.6 ohms). The pair I have from a couple of years ago measured 37.2 ohms/40Hz. and 37.8 ohms/42Hz. PE measured Fs of 43.13 last year. Pioneer still claims 36Hz...
My POINT, that even within the same lot, the manufacturers only try to hit a certain tolerance. One year something comes marked taiwan, the next time china, etc. Then "rooms" differ alot, and why the heck would anyone drive a ford?
So an EXPECTATION that a speaker can be built and be "turn key perfect" in every room for every person is ludicrous. I am sure after suitable break in, listening sessions and trying different room positions and/or treatments improvements will be heard.
If not, get out the soldering iron, add a choke to the woofer, maybe pad the tweet slightly, or at $10 a pop, why not try a pair from a different BATCH of the same item. Or a different part number within the same "family"? Sam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message