Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2-pi evaluation
Re: 2-pi evaluation [message #39712 is a reply to message #39708] Sat, 04 January 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I will begin working today on the second speaker in my (sons) 2Pi Towers. I have not even listened to a complete pair yet and I am already impressed. About 4 days afrer finishing the speaker and giving it some play time my son (we built them for his room) told me that they seem to sound better. I did not really know if this 10" Eminence driver had a break-in time, I suspected it may as many speakers do. I was suprised that he would pick-up on it as I said nothing to him about break-in(he is 17 years old)

I can't agree with you more about the bang for buck quality of this 2 Pi. I agree with you also on the bass, In fact the Tower is probably even more impressive in that area. I agree with Garland about the lack of an XO being a big factor in the success of this speaker. After I decided I would not need a sub with these speakers... I changed the the setting on my HT pre-amp to "large" to send a full range signal to the Towers, what I noticed was without the the XO in the pre-amp inhibiting the sound the towers were much better (Denon AVD-2000 Dolby Digital Processor+ driven with a HK 80wpc amp). When driven with my Sansui 9090db things really come alive (but a bit bright and a lot of bass, so the mids seemed a bit lacking with the Sansui).

I also agree with Garland that the Piezo is probably the weakest part of this system (2Pi). I will be building a pair of Theater 4's in the future, I have access to JBL parts at a very good price so I wish I could put JBL drivers in the 4's but I want them to be tube friendly so I will probably stick with the stock plans. I have found the Eminence drivers to be sufficient to do the job.

I find it interesting that the Studio Series had recieved much attention here of late. Keep posting these comparisons. When mine are complete I be be doing some A/B comparisions of my own and sharing them here (pics too).

Have fun!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message