Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » SET's and 16 ohm JBL 2226J's- - - - - - Observations
Re: SET's and 16 ohm JBL 2226J's- - - - - - Observations [message #39144 is a reply to message #39141] Thu, 21 November 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not with your post. Please explain what you are trying to say. I am not engineering degree'd or anything like that, just been doing this for almost 40 years with limited electronics background, mostly with tubes back in the day.
When you talk about sliding taps, are you talking about getting the best transfer to the load device, or are we actually talking about SET's and their transfer to the loudspeaker like I was describing (through TillE's post). I was trying to bring a topic to the masses that has been talked about before.
Wayne, you said that 50 ohms Zmax is the fine line, I can almost agree with you except that with the 2226J's (16 ohm) attached to the SET's configured for the 8 ohm tap, All the participants and myself did not find the quality of the sound lacking like many on the forum and stated in the past.
Here's another kicker, for all you Altec 416 folks: When I tested many of my older models (416A - 16 ohm), values of Qts fell below .1 on several older models that were original, played for many hours with orignal cones/voice coils and had values for Zmax of over 120 ohms, One in particular, I had to measure 3 times to verify for myself because it seemed too high ended up at 177 ohms. These same drivers are part of a Altec A7-500 VOTT system I helped a friend put together. The new owner of these uses them on a set of Paramours, and guess what, I can't find a problem with their sound.
So I guess what I am trying to say, All the forum posters who have problems with high Zmax drivers, I am not getting the same results, I can't believe I am just lucky that way, Like I said previously, the results were derived with 3 separate Paramours and 1 Moth S45 amp (that is one bad-ass amp, I wish I had $2000.00 plus tube price to buy one, my 4 pi-pro's sounded the best they ever did, and on only 1.8 watts per channel provided over 100 db at 6 ft from the speakers). You can ask Mike W. from Columbus who was nice enough to bring his amp and tubes over to my house. Yes 16 ohm JBL 2226J on "8 OHM tap). I don't mean to sound like a broken record, I expected more feedback on this than what I see. Okay, I better quit before someone cuts my bandwidth out. Yes, I am sneaking from work again.
Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2226/2426 compensation values
Next Topic: somo