Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
MonoPi Experience-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [message #38578] Tue, 08 October 2002 11:02 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Well I couldn't wait any longer for my coils to show up from Solen, been a week already, gimme a break!...so I went back to plan "A" , wind my own. Since I couldn't accurately measure the value I did the next best thing....wound 2 spools of 15 guage wire to the approximate size of the MIA Solen Inductors. Since I sure they would be way off anyway I sped up the process substantial by winding them on the drill press. 5 minutes to set up, 30 seconds each to wind..lol.....ahhh precision.
Soldered up the rest of the crossover and dragged the semi-completed 4Pi Pro into the house. In went the 2226H and fired it up, in magnicent MONO!!!!!.....Well my first impression wasn't one of joy....I had a preconceived idea of how the 4Pi Pro would sound and this wasn't it. In my mind I thought that it would be some pounding "live sounding Raggae killer" speaker. And it wasn't so. After my initial disappointment I fiddled with the pre-amp and picked some different material....I threw in some Diana Krall to check out the vocal abilities of the 4Pi.....sat down with the gf (girlfriend) and gave it a critical listen. We were shocked ...much back and forth switching between the old system and my new MonoPi ensued. The detail and clarity of the 4Pi was incredible! While it lacked the pounding bass of my old 10" Peerless based speakers, it ("it" lol...isn't it suppose to be them) more than made up with sparking clear detail and bite in Diana's vocals. Well ok...try something else in went Creed.....it was good but not great Scott Straps vocals are rough at the best of times and on MonoPi they were no exception. In went Eric Clapton, Cocaine, WOW....we heard inflection in Erics voice like I had never heard before and so forward sounding it was like he was right there and the bass, it was great...not rumbly or thick just very detailed and POWERFUL. I had my rat shack Db meter beside us just to see how loud it really was, 85 whopping Db, but things in other rooms were bouncing and resonating......to be continued
Kelly

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Mo MonoPi.....