Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More stupid hide glue tricks
Re: More stupid hide glue tricks [message #38433 is a reply to message #38404] Tue, 24 September 2002 16:08 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm going to start keeping track of my errors and write a book called '10,000 ways to ruin beautiful wood'. And Bondo is a great way to fix mistakes, then cover them with peel-n-stick veneer and edge banding.
Wanted to add that I have tried flush trimming the veneer to the carcase sides both when it's wet and after thoroughly dry.
What I've found is that narrow edges that will sit really flat against the workbench trim up well with a warm, wet veneer saw before the glue is dry. And of course wet wood cuts like butter. However, larger carcases like the speaker cabs are difficult to get flat against the table (because of even minor out of square glue-up )and so waiting until after the glue is dry, 24 hours is better. Lessens the chance of ruining an edge. Again, warm and wet works best for the veneer saw.
You see references to using a razor knife or even a sharpened linoleum knife but nothing beats a veneer saw. I don't know how anyone uses a knife across the grain!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: front baffle size
Next Topic: Predicting room boundary reinforcement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 03:27:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio