Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi construction foto teaser on my website
2Pi construction foto teaser on my website [message #38213] Sat, 07 September 2002 11:35 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I finally had some time to play with the 2 Pi's yesterday and got as far as sanding the carcases and routing the speaker and port holes. Then had to quit as the sun went down. Happy Rosh Hashonah!
I hope my WAG computation on volume with the sloped baffle works out.
Cutting the angle on the top and bottom front of the carcase was my usual exercise in math:
" hmmm, let's see, if I cut the angle on the side panels and then loosen the saw until it matches that angle, that should be right!"
And sure enough, a portable circular saw with the angle adjustment dead loose so the blade lined up with the cabinet side did it. Please don't try this at home! I have more skill than sense!
A little clean up work with the jointer plane and the baffles sit nice and flat on the carcases.
I was all set to use my new Freund router to rout the speaker holes but discovered the Jasper Jig fine print, "attach to the Freund template follower holes". No template follower.
So I did what man has done since before the plunge router; drilled a hole big enough to accept the bit right on the circumference and used my trusty 20 year old P-C 690. 1 1/2 HP and a 1/4" 2 flute bit is all that is needed. Be sure and clamp a sacrificial board under the workpiece and be certain the guide pin from the jig goes into it. Otherwise finishing the hole can cause an out-of-round. And as with all thru-mortise cuts, clamp securely. There's a lot of heat and friction building up there, you don't want things flying a round. And be sure the clamps are not in the way before you make the cut.
Even with care the holes can be a bit out of round so that's why you see the spokeshave in a couple of the pictures. Cleans up better than a rasp 'cause it won't make out-of-round out-of-rounder. And I love 18th century tools.
Now I have to decide which veneer to use and the color for the baffle. I don't have enough on hand or the baffle would be leather! I still might do that. Anybody ever try leather? "Kinky", says Hedly.
Oops, don't let me forget bracing. Even these little guys could use a little. You should have heard the resonanceses when the palm sander was runnung over the backs and the baffle was closed on the workmate!
Hey Wayne, that toilet paper tube is 2 1/8" O.D., not 2"! Too late, I'll just notch and crush the ends.

Merry Pranks Website

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Veneer Question
Next Topic: Impedance curves questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 11:19:59 CDT 2024