Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Thanks for the great service
Re: Warehouse space [message #38190 is a reply to message #38189] Thu, 05 September 2002 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My plans for the bass horns have gone totally on hold. I still want to do it, but I am no longer sure of the practicality of them. I want to build a pair each sporting a pair of either JBL 2242's or CV Stroker 18's. My newest plans for the horn construction is to build a thin, hollow shell frame for the walls of the horn using sheets of formica and MDF or plywood studs, then filling the cavities with expanding foam. This would really lighten the whole thing up, and I don't think it would cost a lot more. Not sure. As for the drivers... Well they are just insanely expensive. The strokers and the JBLs are both a good 800-900 each. I don't find that very reasonable, especially considering that with a little luck, you can pick the 2242's up in the tent sale for 1/4 of that price. I'm leanign instead towards something from TCS, since I can get just about anything from them for cost.

I recently started a job at Western University here in the city setting up stages, sound and lighting for concerts. I honestly had no idea that there was so much work involved in setting up even a small to medium sized concert. While I think a pair of the horns I have planned could keep up with the 24 bass bins we stacked up (dual ported 18's) with less work, weight, trouble and power... It really has no function for me. I could not possibly hope to aquire everything that is needed for a concert like that. Using these bass horns for anything less would simply be a waste of potential. It's really deflated my enthusiasm for the idea. If I want to build these things, the only good use I can think for them is to sell them on the commercial market.

Any advice?

Adam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: OT: How I Spent My Summer, by......
Next Topic: Reconing JBL D130's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 09:27:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout