Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I'm Kvelling!
Re: Filters, Romans and Roman filters [message #37875 is a reply to message #37866] Sun, 18 August 2002 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Yes, that is the thing, isn't it? You have always qualified your designs as optimizing sound quality and value for the dollar spent; want to spend more? Invest in better drivers. This is your theme that resonates strongly with me as well. You optimize the design to do best what it can and to take the most reasonable tradeoffs, which with good drivers is small tradeoffs and great sound.

I have discovered that there are some wierd biases out there. A couple of them are:

• drivers made for pro sound are sturdy etc. but not good for high fidelity...they just built them like that because durability is the main thing for pro audio...(dolts).....I don't think there is much changing of peoples mind about this unless they are honest about it. They don't like to hear that JBL and a few others are building the best, lowest distortion drivers, and can't get over the "PA" aspect. They don't seem to question why their favorite company doesn't even publish specs. It's because there is no shortcut......

• Simpler is better....................
    well, uh, not necessarily!!!!!

Okay, here's the thing; I don't think there are that many solutions to delivering good audio that are truly the best. My mind doesn't work that way. There are certain parameters that define good audio, and there are only certain answers that deliver it. Although we may not/won't reach it, there is ultimately one answer. I'm a judgemental guy, and I don't apologize for it. I think that is the way to be. Many of the speakers/systems on this and the high eff. forum deliver on this account, but again, like Till said, you get used to what you are listening to and that can become your preference.

I keep coming back to the idea of having people listen to systems without knowing/seeing what they are listening to. It would force us to acknowledge what it is about good sound that we like. If you could remove the subject from seeing the source, what would people say they liked? In my experience, everyone that is exposed to the effortless, dynamic, big, easy sound of a great horn system seems to be moved by it. It's not "boy, those speakers sound good". They aren't even thinking that way, they are just enjoying the music.

I bought a Marantz receiver (actually two) on Ebay, to send with daughter to college. I was going to send the quasi-4 Pi with them, but opted to send some AR's along, until I see how things go. Didn't relish the frat boys coming in and messin' with them. Figured I'd see how it went this year...........

•  
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message
    Read Message