Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » set up is complete!
then there is cheap and vintage [message #37494 is a reply to message #37478] Thu, 25 July 2002 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
and I am having a hard time finding something wrong with the $75 amp I am driving the Altec/JBL's with the last couple of hours. A Pioneer SA-8100 40 watt(?) integrated amp from "the cave days" of SS, well maybe 1975 anyway, with dual tone controls, THROW AWAY the comp cap, and "just dial in +2.5dB at 10kHz. and +5dB at 20kHz". While we're committing heresy, I bumped the 50Hz. +2.5dB to boot. Very NICE overall sound...no quibbles at all yet.
Mentioning this because this series of amps, like many, can have the preamp and amp run separate. So you can "pre-EQ" the signal, take it from the pre-out to an active xover, and come back into the amp with either the HF or LF.
No, I haven't lost my mind. This amp was intended, and will end up driving a pair of Pioneer TQWT FR speakers, where the built-in EQ type tone controls will come in handy to extend the upper and lower octaves a bit for casual listening to vinyl. Seems to also be a cheap way to bi-amp "with EQ", for the low budget DIY'r. Sam

damn, mark knoffler sounds awesome from the other room, gotta go reset the album and sit for a while.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Shameless Product Plug
Next Topic: Reverse Horn ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 04 15:23:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects