Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, my bass horn design...
Re: LARGE, portable patio speakers, YEAH! [message #37462 is a reply to message #37461] Tue, 23 July 2002 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, that is an excellent idea, I have seen another design like that, but I actually woudl prefer to keep it one solid piece.

Like the design I am considering uses multiple sections that can be detached, moved seperately and bolted together. It woudl be a huge task to move them around, but that's life. I moved a 1,500 pound trebuchet that's 35 feet tall, four feet wide and sixteen feet long from my house to a grassy field with only a trailer, myself and my dad, I think this thing will be a synch in comparison. :)

So, what kind of increases will I see if I use multiple woofers? Will I see the usualy +6 db gain from doubling the number of subs?

If I use four subs in one horn, that is four times the cone area and four times the power input (just assume that second point for a second) so I should be getting +12 db max output over a single driver design, and +6db sensitivity over a single driver, right?

That woudl put the sensitivity of this bass horn at around 112 db/1w/1m... pretty sweet! :P

Also, is it possible for me to split the horn into two sections partially down the line? I know it's possibe actaully, I'm just not sure how to do it.

I mean like an "M" shape, with the center being the mouth, and then the horn splitting into two like a mcdonalds crest, and having two of the woofers at each end. Obviously each individual horn woudl still have to have the same area as the bigger single one, but when they combine, I'd have to immedietly cut it in half... I know that sounds really confusing, I'll draw a diagram if you don't really follow me.

Thanks for the help, Wayne.

Adam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message