Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36678 is a reply to message #36664] Mon, 27 May 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tom Brennan is currently offline  Tom Brennan
Baron
pk---I never heard a horn and good driver that wasn't clear and I've heard lots of them, clarity ain't a problem. Dispersion makes a big difference in the sound of the horn IME. I have some 130 degree McCauley horn-lenses and they bounce lots of sound off the sidewalls making for a "big", diffuse kind of sound with a very wide image. With 90 degree horns like Altec 511s the image draws in and sounds more "collected", I like that better. But the big image I got from 120 degree EV SM-120As was far better than the stock K-400 horns on some Klipsch LaScalas I had, the stock horns were so directive, like a laser it seemed, they gave me big-time earwire (like a wire being twisted in your ears). Now I use Edgar "saladbowls" and all I can say is they sound "right". Supposedly the tractrix curve gives a better launch to the soundwaves, I dunno but they sound good. I've used Altec, EV, JBL, PAudio, McCauley and Klipsch horn flares, I prefer the Edgars, 2nd best is the Altec 511B. My opinions ya understand. Here's a funny thing though. One day Paul Eizik came over with his home-made tractrix horns and we spent the afternoon listening to a variety of horns and drivers: Paul's horns, the Edgars, Altec 511s with 4 different sets of Altec and JBL drivers, mixing and matching. You know what? They ALL sounded good. Yeah, you could hear a difference going from say, Paul's horns with JBL 2426s to JBL LE-175s on Edgars to Altec 806s on 511s, but the differences were in detail not in quality and after a few minutes we were just listening to the music and forgetting about which horn-drivers were in use. Horns are low distortion-high clarity devices, once you have that going the music sounds good.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message