Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » the skinheads have left.................
Mikes crossovers and question for Wayne [message #36379 is a reply to message #36374] Fri, 10 May 2002 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mike,
Don't forget to give me the results of the 4655BK project now that the crossovers have arrived. Also, per my last e-mail to you, don't forget to let me know the values used.

Wayne,
I don't know if you caught my previous posts concerning 4648 use with altec horn drivers (Sam's post really), I mentioned using 288 driver with 16 ohm impeadance and using parallel 15 ohm resistor to equal 8 ohm load to the crossover.
I have 2 separate questions:

1.Would it be easier to configure crossover for 16 ohms, and what values for 18 db/oct (your standard crossover) would you use????? I would need compensation figures also. JBL 4648 = 100 db/watt/8 ohms and 288C per Altec page = 115 db/watt/16 ohms(using 16G diaphram) crossing over at either 500hz, 600hz or 800hz would be fine. I can use parallel resistor to make 8 ohm load and deduct 3 db for the shared load for a result of 112db/watt. This driver has plenty of efficiency to shave and have plenty left, which way is better???

2. I might bi-amp (Rane AC-22 x-over (24db/oct/LR)using 6bq5 SET amp on the 288's (maybe 3 watts on a good day/Knight KN-715 stock) for compensation, can I use resistor in series paralleled with a cap on top end. the bi-amp frequency would be 500 hz. The 288 specified response is 500hz to 16khz. The 311-60 horn I'm using is 1.4" throat with 220hz taper cutoff, and "DOES NOT RING LIKE 511/811" That's the reason I paid good money for the pair of horns/drivers.
Once again, thanks for taking the time for my many "off the wall experiments". I figure since I have so many odd pieces of audio equipment and speakers I would experiment and share my results for those who only want to create/purchase "One system" for themselves and don't have to spend a lots of money to try different ideas.

Wayne, Love the kit ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Ron

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message