Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Oops.. too big!
based on my vast experience with 2 boxes:) [message #36121 is a reply to message #36118] Sat, 27 April 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
I would say "go for it"...if you use R13 to cover the entire rear wall, the bottom wall, and one side wall...my 2.5 cu.ft. "net Volume" boxes have consistently "tuned" as if the boxes were at least 3/4 cu.ft. larger than their actual physical size. Mine were acting like the "apparent volume after R13 stuffing" was increased by over 30%. Even after reducing the port tubes to half the original length, my tuning (50Hz) was still several Hz. lower than "Pi alignment specified". I recently removed a portion of the R13, and feel the tuning shifted a bit higher. Probably closer to 52Hz. Fb now. I had started with 1.2cu.ft. of R13 'glass inside the 2.5cu.ft. box...may have been overdamped...twin peaks (at Fl and Fh) were only 20 ohms. Sam

btw, go easy on the silicone seal holding the port tubes in...a beetch to pull loose from a 1/4 in. deep recess...and I'm pretty darn sure adjusting the length is often needed...only a careful z plot will tell you where you are for certain.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Computer crashed and burned!
Next Topic: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 15:16:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout