Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » crossover design... help....
did you mean the D205Ti driver? [message #35977 is a reply to message #35974] Mon, 15 April 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
It is rated 108dB/watt/1m. The horn you specified is a 700Hz. exponential flare...the circular mouth is resonsible for the 45hx45v pattern...most horns here are 90x40 dispersion, FWIW. Taking the 95dB/watt spec of the woofer at face value, it seems you will need to pad the HF down about 13dB for the levels to match.
Wayne's xover list shows a 12dB and 14dB configuration, they use a 0.47uF and 0.33uF cap respectively. If your chosen driver is similar to the eminence PSD2002 that Wayne specifes, one of those values should work. The padding is a crap shoot, pick 12dB to start. If the HF is too hot when listening, cut it another dB or 2.
The woofer you have chosen has a very low Re, and a large Le. It is claimed as 8ohms impedance, so I guess you just need to pick a xover freq. You said 2.2kHz. Wayne uses 1.6kHz. Your motors will "handle" either one. Just BEWARE, YOU ARE NOT BUILDING A PROVEN DESIGN by using these components. I have no opinion about how what the results will sound like, but this ain't rocket science. Wayne uses a 3rd order HP filter that does a super job of protecting the HF driver from being blown. A 2nd order LP and Zobel will be needed for the woofer.
Any online calculator will spit out the values if you want to build your own xovers, I assumed you are intending to use "store bought" ones at 2.2kHz? Eminence has them for a 1.6kHz. ready to install, you will still need to build the pad/comp for the HF.
Now go cut some wood, and let us know how things turn out:) Sam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Horn flare survey