Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » gettin ready for lima
Re: gettin ready for lima - fun experiments! [message #35607 is a reply to message #35594] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I sent your wood horns, JBL 2426 compression drivers, and some π crossovers. Do something while you're there - Just for fun. Remove the compensation circuits and just run the crossovers, stock. Listen to the difference. Also, take a good quality 10uF capacitor to use as a single capacitor first order network. Then, you might also try the top octave (tweeter) compensator after the 10uF single order (single capacitor only) crossover.

So try each of these as a demonstration of what they all sound like. You can compare all of these types of filters, and then you can also compare all of the passive variants with an active crossover too.

Here's the list of some of the things you might want to evaluate:

1. Simple first order (10uF cap in series with tweeter), only.

2. Stock Butterworth 2nd/3rd order network. Use the Eminence crossover, with no compensation.

3. First order with π compensation

4. Full π crossover

5. Bi-amped system

I think you'll find the results to be startling. In fact, I know you will. If you've never heard a compression horn without appropriate compensation, then you'll be quite startled actually.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message