Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for Wayne - Compensation Network Resistor Chain
I know I'm not Wayne, but... [message #34404 is a reply to message #34403] Thu, 13 December 2001 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
...don't concentrate too hard on getting those resistor values such that you acheive the 40W power rating, especially if you are using tube and lower-powered (< 200 W) of amplification. Remember, Wayne's crossover designs are based on extremely high-powered applications and if you notice the Theatre Four Pi's in stock form are rated for 300W RMS on the Pi website. Both George(replay) and I have had this conversation with Wayne already and I think it would be safe to say that for the compensation network, a single 12W resistor (instead of the specified 40 W series-parallel network) for R1 and also a 12W for R2 is sufficient unless you really plan put LOTS of power behind these. I'm sorry to hear that you've made some of the same mistakes I've already made in ordering all those resistors, because I really don't think you're going to need them, unless you eventually plan to use your Pi's with some extremely high power.

Wayne, do you think you might consider making application-specific notes of just how much power handling in the resistor network is necessary when you send out your speaker plans? Many of us are building some of your bigger systems and won't be pushing anywhere near the amount of power you rate your speakers for. For this reason I really don't think we need to complicate the crossover compensation sections with extra parts for the sake of power handling if they really aren't neccessary. What do you think?

Colin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Modification to cabinet proportions OK, Wayne?
Next Topic: March 29-30 looks like the date
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 20:20:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout