Home » Audio » General » My new Abraxas Audio 12B4
Initial impressions [message #3407 is a reply to message #3396] Tue, 01 August 2006 21:44 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've listened to the amp for several 2-3 hour sessions now and really enjoy the way it sounds. The power is adequate for my listening levels 99% of the time and it seems to do well on the Pi Towers.

After listening to some Keb Mo for about 30-40 minutes tonight, I quick switched the cables around back to the NAD 320Bee amp and fired up the CD again to the same song I was listening to. First impressions were that the bass was a little tighter (but no lower sounding) and the sound was more flat (maybe neutral is a better description--hell I don't know all these audio adjectives!) for lack of a better word. Sounded fine, but did't have the image and air that the little amp had. I had to turn the volume up on the NAD to achieve anything like the 12B4, so it was basically just louder which didn't accomplish anything. The 12B4 just made it sound like the band was more in the room with me than the NAD. Nice.

Now, according to Akhilesh, his 12B4 amp sounds very good on his K-horns. Maybe I need to start thinking about upgrading to some more efficient Pi's down the road!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Great Plains or Lone Star ?
Next Topic: Excellent New Mag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 14:30:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout