Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Crossovers.................
Re: Crossovers................. [message #33738 is a reply to message #33737] Mon, 27 August 2001 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The biggest things is to pick the crossover and slope that will provide good summing. This is the job of the frequency-splitting high-pass/low-pass filters. Simple symmetrical slopes work pretty well for some direct-radiating two-way speakers. But this is not always the case with horns. In my experience, I rarely find the best solution is a symmetrical crossover when horns are used, and I have never found a good symmetrical crossover when horns are combined with direct radiators, as in the case of a DI matched two-way speaker like the 3 Pi or 4 Pi speakers.

The next most important thing has to do with the tweeter horns used. The power response falls, so you need a conjugate filter in the tweeter circuit. Top-octave compensation is a requirement for CD horns. It's actually pretty simple to do passively, because a good quality direct-radiating midwoofer is generally about 10dB-12dB less sensitive than the tweeter horn. So the top-octave compensation network simply attenuates the tweeter by that amount, and then removes attenuation at 6dB/octave above 4kHz or so, providing HF augmentation.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Four Pi's finished!!
Next Topic: Any of you "hit the lights?"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 10:18:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects