Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Are all screw-on piezo horn drivers similar ?
More piezo stuff - high order networks, etc. [message #33119 is a reply to message #33111] Sat, 31 March 2001 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
In this case, a capacitive load, series resistance will act as a low pass filter since the motor's impedance at high frequencies is so much lower than it is at low frequencies. In the top octave, the tweeter's impedance gets smaller and smaller, so the voltage divider becomes more and more proportioned towards the series resistance. Still, if the series resistance is small enough, it won't adversely affect performance and will protect the system from very high frequency oscillation.

I used to connect 1 ohm, 1/4 watt resistors in series - just for this purpose. It acted as a fuse. And I think two ohms is just as appropriate as one. I don't install this component anymore, but there is no harm in it - and it most certainly does provide protection from UHF oscillation. The only reason I stopped is that I've never blown a quartz tweeter, nor have I ever found an amp that oscillated because of one. But that doesn't mean they can't be blown or that a person can't find an amp that will oscillate from this load. And the tiny added resistance may improve such a situation.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bellingham?
Next Topic: Probable dumb question - Where's the midrange driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 17:02:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio