Home » Audio » Group Build » 300B Project, Part 6 - Cascode driver a little more
Re: 300B Project, Part 6 - Cascode driver a little more [message #31750 is a reply to message #31749] Sun, 19 February 2006 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Warm and soft; those are the words I needed to describe the CCS sound. It sounds like that to me on the three amps I heard with a CCS loaded output tube; they have that sound.
It rounds off the edges; not like the glassiness of SS but more like the distinctive edges of good definition that a very good design offers. There is definately something there and maybe that accounts for why there is a growing minority of listeners that are not overly fond of that design choice; it rounds off the distinctive defined edge of sounds.
As soon as you said that it dawned on me what the thing was that I am hearing. I just never could find how to put it into words and I think I was actually disregarding my own ears because the idea of the CCS loaded plate seems to make so much sense. Lsten to what you hear; I have to remmember that.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message