Home » Audio » Group Build » Anybody starting to build yet?
Re: Anybody starting to build yet? [message #30104 is a reply to message #30102] Thu, 13 January 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Man, time sure does fly. This is the first time in weeks I've had a chance to sit down and write a serious post. I've started looking around for parts and trying to combine this pre with other projects.

I did, however, get the Bottlhead SEX amp (BTW it is integrated and does not a pre) built. The voltage check was dead-on, but the smoke test was just that - SMOKIN' SEX. I toasted the PS transformer. Pulled it apart and found I missed one solder joint. I'm hoping that was the only problem. I should have a new transformer in 3-4 weeks.

I pulled out an old project that I set aside a couple of years ago. It's a chip headphone amp I saw on headwize. I'm should have this up and running in a day or two.

Back to the present. I have been playing around with PSU Designer (Duncan Amp Tools) for the power section. Pretty cool interactive tool for designing both tube and SS rectified PS - and it's FREE. I am still really leaning towards John's original idea. It's simple and there is a very done web site. Did anyone catch the Power Point presentation? One of the pictures is hot-linked.

John, you mentioned beefing up the PS. Haveyoulooked into upgrading the parts? You know, beeswax caps? Seriously, the part count is so low that it might be a worthwhile project for each of us to do a slightly different variation of the same theme just to see how the sounfd is affected. I would have no problem sending mine to you for a head to head. Maybe you could do an honest write-up, like you mentioned over at the Dungeon. I am still trying to resond to that post. I've got a few stories to tell about honest peer review......Colin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Guienevere; PS