Home » Audio » Craftsmen » More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination
Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28914 is a reply to message #28913] Thu, 08 January 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Personally, I like soldered connections. Good ol' 60-40 rosin core solder. There are some crimp connectors that are quite good, with attention paid to gas-tight connections that won't corrode. But simple pressure-crush crimp connectors are far more common, and they simply don't offer as good of a connection.

What I like to do, is to solder everything on circuit boards, and any connections that will be permanent or semi-permanent. I like having wires that are spliced onto other wires covered with heat-shrink tubing instead of being wrapped with tape. And termimal strips or connectors are soldered as well.

If I'm using a spade lug or other crimp connector, I like to solder those too. Stranded wires that will be inserted bare into spring-loaded connectors are tinned with solder. For serviceability, I'll employ spade lugs, jacks, plugs and other types of connectors, but I like having them connected to their wiring harnesses with soldered connections. That way I am able to have cable assemblies that are removable and keep the equipment they're used in serviceable, but I still get a good connection that is mechanically and electrically sound.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: A most excellent craft project on a Fostex driver
Next Topic: Speaker Selection Switch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 04:24:18 CDT 2024