Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Any advice on working with exotics?
Re: Any advice on working with exotics? [message #28907 is a reply to message #28887] Sun, 04 January 2004 10:33 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Enough cannot be said about using proper dust mask at all times when sanding some types of wood. A few years ago I was building a mountain dulcimer as a Christmas rush project. Much of the instrument was made of mahogony. I was sanding a lot, but sometines removed my mask because my coold workshop was causing my glasses to fog up with the mask on. On a Friday I started to get a swelling in my left upper leg. By Sunday I was one sick puppy. I went to the hospital Monday. My whole body was so swollen I couldn't lay down and had to be propped up in bed. I came down with Pnemonia that same day. I spent three days in a sitting position, propped up, gasping for every breath, sometimes not fully coherent. I almost died that week. On the fourth day, I got better and was allowed to go home in my wife's care. It was weeks before I could keep up just walking with her in a department store.
A lesson for all to remember. Sawdust, especially certain more exotic woods, is nothing to trifle with. Wear that mask!

Dave

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Methods of work
Next Topic: Another question on router gear