Home » Audio » Home Theater » DirectTV DVR's
DVR's and tying arrangements [message #28841 is a reply to message #28840] Fri, 01 August 2008 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Try to sell them on eBay. In Tulsa, I don't think you'll have much of a market. I think DirectTV will support them but I know Cox won't. I own a Motorola 6416 DVR that's exactly the same as the one I rent from Cox, but they refuse to enable it for me. They say theirs is different internally, but I don't think that is so. I think all they have to do is enter its serial number into their system, same as all the other Motorola 8416 DVR's they use.

I wonder how they can get away with this, because in the computer world, this kind of thing is considered an illegal tying arrangement and has been ruled against in several precedent cases, like Amdahl v IBM, Digidyne v Data General and USA v Microsoft. Seems to me that maybe the only reason they are able to get away with it is the rental ownership costs are small enough nobody is going to start a lawsuit for the kind of money involved. But then again, seems to me this would be some kind of class action thing. Who knows, maybe it will be some time.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Sound or screens?
Next Topic: DVD/CD players
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 03 19:55:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio