Home » Audio » General » Lansing Shearer Horn/ IPC System
Re: Lansing Shearer Horn/ IPC System [message #26689 is a reply to message #26685] Mon, 11 February 2008 03:34 Go to previous message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
At the same audio show in NYC (mid 1950's) that I have mentioned in other posts where the AR-1 speaker was introduced and the hit record of the show was Fabulous Eddy Osborn playing a giant organ, I came upon a little approximately 8' x 12' hotel room. How they did it I don't know, but somehow they had in there one of these systems. The Bass horn was this type but made of metal, probably iron painted black - at least I thought it was metal and occupied one wall. There was a single, huge bell shaped multicellular horn also lying on the floor with its driver in one corner and the bell, which must have been 4' across standing on one edge. I have never heard such a clear, soft, silky sound before that I can recall. There was a sweet young thing sitting there in front of this monster for at least two days listening to the same Fabulous Eddy record over and over. I asked her if the sound didn't get fatiguing after two days within a foot or so of this brute, and she said not a bit. I could believe her. It had come from a theater in NYC (Roxy?) and was not for sale. I have no idea what the room was there for. I hope that is the kind of sound they have in heaven.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 65,000th post prize
Next Topic: Welcome to SoundStage! Magazine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 11:20:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects