Home » Audio » General » negative feedback in Cathode follower amplifier output stages
negative feedback in Cathode follower amplifier output stages [message #26197] Sat, 18 September 2004 19:25 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Must beg the indulgence of our resident electronics guru's. In my post earlier concerning feedback in cathode follower output stages I claimed out of ignorance that the by-pass capacitor in parralell with the cathode resistor caused a feedback loop. Please excuse my ignorance but it seems that the cap actually removes the feedback applied through the cathode by the resistor. Refering to chap. 5.02 of the Tube Audio Design book, it states, "The cathode follower applies 100% negative voltage feedback by virtue of it's configuration. The voltage controlling the tube is that between the grid and the cathode.The input voltage is applied between the grid and ground. The net voltage controlling the tube is therefor the grid voltage minus the cathode voltage. This is how you add the output voltage to the input voltage without a seperate feedback loop. Eg is the input ipRk is the output. The latter is subtracted from the former because the feedback is negative."
He goes on to state,"If you desire no feedback, then you can bypass Rk with a capacitor, effectively taking it out of the circuit."
Goes to show how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I geuss I am a dangerous thing. Thanks, J.R.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: DISK SPACE ISSUES
Next Topic: Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 03:56:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio