Home » Audio » General » Critical Listening
Re: Critical Listening [message #2531 is a reply to message #2524] Mon, 19 December 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When I'm evaluating a new piece of equipment, I'm clearly listening to the machine. When I build a loudspeaker from a new design, I always listen for things like bass note progressions, expecting those recorded at the same amplitude to be heard at the same amplitude, not one note exaggerated above the others. I listen to voices, to hear if they are shrill or distorted. And I listen for overall balance and things like that. I'm sort of listening in a reductionist fashion, evaluating the sound based on each component part.

After I am satisfied with a design, or if I'm using something that I've already found tried and true, I revert back to a more normal mode where I'm not listening to the machine anymore. I am just enjoying the music. It's a much more relaxed mode. That's the way I listen most of the time, listening to the performance rather than trying to find flaws. It's sort of like holistic listening.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message