Home » Audio » Speaker » single driver line array
Re: single driver line array [message #24071 is a reply to message #24068] Sun, 23 December 2007 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I heard the IDS and Audience line arrays at the 2006 and 2007 RMAF that use full range drivers, and I liked them both. Comb filtering wasn't a noticable issue with either, but neither offered the "air" you hear with an array of high quality tweeters. The decay of cymbals, bells, etc just isn't as realistic as it is with my Selah Audio XT-8's using Fountek ribbons. Otherwise, they are very good speakers, and there's no reason why you shouldn't build a pair.

Driver selection will be important. I wouldn't use anything larger than 3" or fewer than 16 drivers per side. As you said, some equalization will be needed, and you should also plan to use a subwoofer with them. If you're on a tight budget the Behringer DEQ2496 might be a good choice for equalization.

If I were building a pair I would shy away from inexpensive drivers. An array reduced the excursion-related distortion of a driver but it doesn't change the sonic signature. Some of the Tang Band drivers with neo magnets like the W3-1346S seem to be good candidates.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: new high eff kit
Next Topic: "using drivers that are just sitting"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 10:21:13 CDT 2024