Home » Audio » General » New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online
Re: New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online [message #2407 is a reply to message #2406] Thu, 10 November 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mr Geddes; I read the first chapter of your book and found nothing I could disagree with.
Can I ask a favor? If the Stradivarious Violin is recognised as one of the best examples of the Luthiers art as a result of it's tone and; well basically the sound it makes. And it is recognised as such by every artist of the instrument down through the ages without question. There are no Strad disclaimers. Then can we as audio hobbiests agree that the Stradivarious Violin represents what can be called a Reference Standard for musical sound? And that that is not an opinion but is in fact a truth? Concerning sound and sound quality?
Is that possible in this situation?
My point being this: the Strad can be understood by all just using their ears to be great sound. So why can't that same position be applied to audio reproducing that Stradivarious?
This is not a critiscism or even a reflection of the points you make in your book. It is merely me asking if you believe that is possible in order for me to have a way to reflect on the philosophy of your thesis.
Thank You.
I will send this question to your site also as I find it the most interesting theme in all of sound reproduction.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message