Home » Audio » Speaker » Symetrical Array (and crossover issues...) Griffen? Craig?
Re: Symetrical Array (and crossover issues...) Griffen? Craig? [message #23992 is a reply to message #23991] Fri, 19 October 2007 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure how much of your question is answerable by me. I use a 165, and a 2500 cross. But I use a Rane Ac23 electrical crossover($459 at discount from about $550). Some people seem to consider this to be a "cheap" crossover.

By experimentation for my system I find that those crossovers work the best. Unfortunately, the high quality Sammi mid ranges that I use are no longer available. They were built to sell for $16 each, but Sammi couldn't find anyone to buy them at that price and ended up selling them all at a very steep discount. The have a 3.3 Xmax, and full copper voice coils. So 34 of them at the original price Sammi wanted would have been $540.

Additionally my system is tri-amped. The tweeter part of the array is 60w/ch, the mid range portion is 175w/ch, and the woofer(12 inch GoldSound poly props) is 350w/ch.

All of this(combined with 34 completely separate(1/2 inch open air space) midrange tubes adds up to a synergy that is not included in any plain box speaker system with a passive crossover, and a single amp.

So....I really don't know what to say to answer your other questions.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message