Home » Audio » Speaker » Array Tweeter Selection
Re: Array Tweeter Selection [message #23781 is a reply to message #23779] Thu, 31 May 2007 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Username is currently offline  Username
Esquire
Thylantyr,

Fountek NeoCD2.0
This seems to be a favorite for higher end (more expensive) DIY projects. Looking at John Krutke’s test results from his Zaph article (http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/), the NeoCD2.0 Frequency Response looks like it could be crossed at +/- 1.5KHz. However the linear distortion measurements expressed in the Cumulative Spectrum Decay plots explain the recommended 2,000Hz cross-over. This tweeter seems to have a huge distortion problem under 2KHz.

It would be great to hear from somebody that has used these in an array. If somebody has experience with this driver, did you attempt to cross them lower than 2KHz? If so, what were (are) the results?

BG Neo3
It is interesting that you would spend the extra $500 (2 channels) for Fountek NeoCD2.0 rather than using this unit.
Neo3: 93dB, 4 ohm
NeoCD2.0: 98dB, 7 ohm
The Fountek CD2.0’s certainly look a whole lot cooler than the BG Neo 3’s. I’ll have to read up on the implications of sensitivity and impedance.

Dayton PT2B and its cousins
I had originally ruled out these drivers based entirely on John’s distortion test results. Assuming the tweeters in your array are similar to the ones John tested, how does this distortion (1700-2500Hz) express itself in musical playback? Do you notice it? If so, is it a “liability” or a “feature?” I know this is asking for a purely subjective analysis (oxymoron alert), but I’m interested in your view on the matter.

BG Neo8, and HiVi
Is deleting these based on their distortion measurements or something else you may have experienced or read? The Neo8 looked like a cross-over champ.

All dome tweeters
There is no way I’m going to mess with boxes and boxes of dome tweeters. I’m too old to be cutting down mounting brackets.

Esoteric solutions
The R3.2’s are insane. No way.
The AC G2 or the Fountek NeoPro5i would both be stretching the budget thin. Would they be a real performance upgrade from the NeoCD2.0, or just cooler looking?

Slightly off topic:
I love the control panel and impedance switch on your arrays. I plan to steal your terminal block idea for easy impedance selection, but with somewhat sane impedance choices. You are insane…driving 0.8 Ohm loads. I’ve followed your theories (or mad ramblings) across various forums on the use of bridged pro amps driving multiple kilowatts into micro impedances. I will continue to look for a very bright blue flash followed by lots of white smoke from your direction.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message