Home » Audio » Speaker » Anybody want to build a DIY IDS-25 clone (somewhat cheaply)?
My bias [message #23565 is a reply to message #23560] Fri, 16 March 2007 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't think its necessary to purchase the best speakers in a line array since, as Bill Fitzmaurice says, almost every speaker is pretty flat at low volume. So, when you use a lot of them, the flatness at low volume stays, since you have so many to cover the frequency ranges.

I think you can design a quality array using Dayton Neo 20FA tweeters. I did, and I used 60 of them total. That's a huge number of tweeters to spread the sound through. I you use 8 planars on a side, that is a far cry from 30 domes, per side.

Additionally, if you use a midrange that retailed for 12-20 bucks each, again you will get high quality sound since EACH they don't have to play loudly. My Sammi's were a great buyout at $3.50 from a regularly priced model of 12-18 bucks(you don't get a 10 oz magnet and an X-max of 3.6 mm for 49 cents!). Other companies besides PE that also participated in the buyouts are now selling them for 7-10 bucks each. Fine little speakers. Going below those levels may get you an OK system, but below the level that I would consider appropriate for all the work involved. Buying a 49 cent NSB midrange is not appropriate for all the work involved in my opinion.

Always compare the quality to what you already have. I did.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Back from Dallas and depressed ...
Next Topic: ART Array construction continues.... and a question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 05:30:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout