Home » Audio » Speaker » Tell Us About the Array you built or are building......
Re: Tell Us About the Array you built or are building...... [message #23503 is a reply to message #23465] Thu, 01 March 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hot.rod.audio is currently offline  hot.rod.audio
Esquire
Still evolving but:

I'm going minimalist / vintage with it's foundation the old vintage KLH 4.5 inch full range drivers found in the models 14, 19, etc. paper cone, cloth surround, BIG alnico magnet & motor structure. I'm mounting them open baffle on a fairly narrow baffle (12.5 X 48 inches). eight per side.

For the low-end, I'm staying with vintage KLH: a single 60's vintage Model 6 per side, stuffed in the corners of the room to (somewhat) match the efficiency of the array. For the high-end, I'm using a NOS pair of Radio Shack dual radial horn tweeters. Crossover is VERY minimal; seated listening posiition is only about 6 - 8 feet away, so comb filtering isn't too big of a deal. I'm running off tubes: either a vintage magnavox EL84 PP amp, or Sherwood S-8000 (7868 PP). If I REALLY want to shake the house (movie night) I run them off my Marantz 1152DC (125 wpc @ 4 ohms).

The sound has impressed anyone who has listened to them; very revealing. I feel the OB design really helps with the transparency. They sound best about 2 feet from the back wall. I eventually want to implement an active crossover w/ digital EQ for full flexibility and optimization. The klh FR drivers should start comb filtering around 1200-2400 Hz, although I havent measured them. . . they sound very good to my ears. Will try and do a full ribbon tweeter array eventually also, as I know the little Ratshack tweeter is a compromise . . .

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Even more on slam - and imaging!
Next Topic: Relationship Between X Max And Efficiency Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 16:57:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout